The Data Explorer allows you to administer any table in your WordPress database. The following features are available:
- View, insert, update and (bulk) delete rows (List tables) (Data entry forms)
- Import (SQL and CSV) and export (SQL, XML, JSON, Excel and CSV) rows (Export) (Import)
- Pagination, sorting and searching (List tables) (Pagination, sorting and searching)
To manage a specific table, navigate to the Data Explorer main page and click on the Explore link of the required table.
The image below shows the list table of table demo_products (click to enlarge). This table uses a hyperlink column and WordPress media library integration. These column settings are available on the Data Explorer main page.
Data entry forms
The list table contains an edit link for every row. Click on the edit link to edit a specific row (see image below – click to enlarge). The plugin generates a data entry form which allows you to edit the selected row.
Use the search box to find the rows you want to export. If not all rows you want to export are visible, click on Screen Options (upper right corner of the page) and change Number of items per page accordingly. Select the rows you want to export. Select Export from the Bulk Actions dropdown list and click Apply. This feature supports export to SQL1), XML, JSON, Excel and CSV.
Only SQL files can be imported. Please be aware that the plugin only allows import statements into the selected table. The import feature on the Data Explorer table page does not allow other actions like update or delete, nor does it allow imports into other tables than the one selected on the screen. This is to prevent users being able to per SQL statements from the Import button. The execution of general SQL script files (allowing any SQL) is only available to admin users from the Data Explorer main page.
Pagination, sorting and searching
Pagination, sorting and searching is available in the standard WordPress way. The plugin uses the same look and feel.
- Within the Data Explorer you can edit any table, even WordPress tables! Make sure you know what you are doing. Modification on WordPress tables might corrupt your WordPress database/installation.
- No edit link? The plugin needs a primary or unique key to uniquely identify rows in a table. Please check if your table has a primary key or a unique index. Use the forum or leave a reply if you have any questions.